Thursday, April 22, 2010

Writer's Block and Spiritual Growth

Ok, so I don't know what's happening to me lately. I just can't find anything that's worth writing about and that's not like me. Most of you know I started a new blog that is specific to my love for technology (Tech Consumption) but I can't seem to find anything to write about there either. Despite the total lack of material, I still feel like there's something I need to write. So, when all else fails, write about something God has been working you over about, right?

Amanda and I both have the spiritual gift of giving. We love to give and there have been so many times in our marriage where God has moved on both of us to give to a particular person or cause and has given us the exact same dollar figure to give. That is so cool! We look for opportunities to give because we find so much joy in it.

Lately we've felt led to give, but this time God hasn't told us where or how much. This might be because I've been neglecting daily time with my Lord and have therefore closed down the communication channels. I honestly don't know what the deal is but I'm excited about the prospect of God once again using us to further his kingdom.

Around the beginning of this year I went through a season of feeling like God was stripping away everything I was holding on to too tightly. I lost my job and my family immediately took about a 75% pay cut. It was almost as if God was telling me he doesn't need my earning power or accomplishments in order to use me effectively. In my heart I know that, but I don't think I was acting that way.

So, without the ability to simply write someone a check, I've had to be purposeful about looking for opportunities to give to people without giving them money. This has opened my eyes to a whole new level of need, which as an introvert, I have always ignored. Giving can consist of mowing someone's lawn so they can rest and spend time with their family. Or help someone plant a garden or do some landscaping, or just have lunch with someone and be available to listen. It doesn't have to be anything extravagant or extremely creative. Just be available and willing to lend a hand.

I know there isn't much structure to this post. After all, I am in the middle of a writer's block. But it feels good to get some things down in writing. My hope is that you'll read this and feel the need to be purposeful about serving others. Now, get out there and serve someone!

No comments:

Post a Comment